Resume of Hal Amens
Manager, WSR Consulting Group, LLC
More than 20 years of broad-based, implementation-oriented management and information technology consulting and corporate management experience. Mr. Amens experience allows him to work with senior executives to meet their needs for effective planning, status reporting, and cost control and with information technology management to assure effective processes, project discipline, and communication.
- Analyzed project management processes and communication used by a vendor during the customization of a failed workforce dispatching system. Lack of management discipline and communication pointed to probably failure areas that were analyzed in detail. Findings supported a successful negotiated settlement.
- Reviewed history of customization of an enterprise resources management (ERP) system for a distributor and found errors in the requirements analysis that led to inadequate design of the modifications and failure of the installation. Findings supported successful negotiation of a settlement.
- Analyzed changes in a enterprise resources management (ERP) system to met the special needs of a clothing manufacturer. Identified a critical flaw in the system processing sequence that was preventing successful implementation. Findings led to contract termination and a negotiated settlement.
- Reviewed contracted vs. actual project management processes/methodologies used by a major consulting company in failed development of a large HR system. Findings supported a favorable mediated settlement.
- Analyzed historic development of a major online service provider's transition from proprietary to Internet based protocols and demonstrated sound planning, management, and disclosure in an IPO.
- Reviewed quality practices and production readiness of a significant Internet product launch.
Design and Management of Program Management Offices (PMO):
- Designed the Y2K PMO for two money center banks.
- Senior member of PMO responsible for design of project planning and reporting processes used by 50 business units nationwide. Managed consolidation of monthly status reports for executive management and regulatory review. Designed contingency planning and reporting processes. Designed and managed intranet for corporate wide communication, direction, regulatory compliance and project status.
- Designed and served in the PMO for the largest bank merger up to that time. Managed planning and reporting process and executive communication.
Diagnostics and Remediation of Processes:
- Restructured project planning and budgeting processes to give internal clients control of incremental funding based on progress against benchmarks. Extend planning horizon from 12 to 24 months.
- Reviewed check processing for multiple processing centers serving 9 million customers. Identified four points where items were diverted from normal processing and then delayed so they were not returned with customer statements. Established controls and priorities for processing of diverted items.
Management of Technology Driven Corporate Change:
- Designed and implemented training for 1,800 drivers for a soft drink bottler to support transition from manual processing to handheld computers and centralized load planning and dispatching.
- Developed change management processes for centralization of computer systems from eight Asian countries to a single data center and then trained local managers and executives in new processes.
- Developed and managed the planning and status reporting for application standardization and computer center consolidation of acquired companies in eleven western states.
Development of Systems Development Methodologies:
- Managed creation of system development methodology for a service bureau serving multi-state S&Ls.
- Member of team that developed system development methodology for a west coast, money center bank.
Additional Experience and Expertise:
- Served as one of several regulatory interfaces to regulatory agencies for Y2K including the Federal Reserve Board and the Comptroller of the Currency.
- Managed three management and operations audits of public utilities and participated in two others under the direction of Public Utilities Commissions. Responsible for coordination with the Commissions and the development and presentation of findings and recommendations.
- Managed an audit of a Public Utilities Commission for a state legislature.
- Presentations to the California Coastal Commission on general planning issues and evaluation of specific projects. Assisted the Attorney General's office for the State of California to develop the defense in a related lawsuit.
|WSR Consulting Group, LLC, Los Angeles, California
||2001 - Present
Information Technology Consultant
|Lyon, Popanz & Forester, Los Angele
||1983 - Present
|Xerox Printing Systems Division, El Segundo, CA
|| 1982 - 1983
Manager, Industry Marketing
|Coopers & Lybrand, Los Angeles
|| 1981 - 1982
|Lyon, Popanz & Forester, Los Angeles
||1977 - 1981
|Theodore Barry & Associates, Los Angeles
|| 1973 - 1977
|Computer Sciences Corporation, El Segundo, CA
||1968 - 1973
Manager, Systems Planning
|Trans World Airlines, New York and Los Angeles
||1961 - 1968
Manager: Strategic Planning, Market Research, Sales Administration
|Harvard Graduate School of Business, Boston, Massachusetts
MBA in Business Administration
|University of Denver, Denver, Colorado
BSBA in Business Administration, one year in College of Law
- Project Management Institute
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
- Association of Internet Professionals
- Global Sullivan Principles of Social Responsibility
- IT Systems Failure Conference produced by Mealey's Litigation Report, King of Prussia PA
- Staying Out of Trouble With the Year 2000 produced by The SEC Institute II, Inc in Orlando FL
- Minnesota Year2000 Project Managers Group
- Iowa Association of School Business Officials
- SPG's Year 2000 Conference & Expo in Los Angels, Contingency Planning
- The Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies Fall Educational Conference
- Three Federal Reserve Year2000 planning sessions for financial institutions
- Minnesota Bankers Association Winter conference
- Keeping Information Technology and Corporate Strategies Aligned, The Business Forum, Los Angeles, CA; published in Inside DPMA (Data Processing Management Associatio