Resume of Thomas Duffy
Senior Manager, WSR Consulting Group, LLC
More than 30 years of diverse information technology and business management experience as a Senior Manager at a Big 4 consulting firm, an internal VP of Information Management/CIO or as an independent consultant.
Responsible for creating and/or managing IT departments, IT technology groups, IT maintenance organizations, and IT operations groups; managing computer and software implementation projects and quality assurance, project estimation, risk management & control; software selections; data base conversions; implementing and enforcing SDLC methodologies and IT department standards; strategic IT planning; aligning IT and business strategy; applications development; business assessments; litigation support; IT governance; IT Audit; SOX & regulatory compliance; & business process re-engineering.
Managed up to 40 staff members & administered IT technical & personnel budgets of up to $10,000,000 annually. Conducted/managed diverse consulting engagements for both start-up/entrepreneurial and established/multi-national firms, including: financial; government (local and state); retail; manufacturing; distribution; direct marketing; B2B service; mortgage; software consulting, and money transmitters.
Information Technology Management:
As a CIO (of a $250,000,000 million dollar privately held services company):
- Full-member of executive team, reporting directly to C0O, participating in all strategic business decisions.
- Completely restructured IT, changing the focus from “small shop” / immediate concerns / everybody does everything, to a more structure, medium-sized IT group, with a long-termer focus. Re-built the staff from scratch, with departmental expenditures that reached $10,000,000 annually, 6 direct reports, and total staffing of up to 40.
- Stabilized an immature technology platform, significantly raising uptime.
- Implemented the first set of comprehensive, consistent systems to 30 branch locations.
- Consolidated, automated, or outsourced several manual business functions, resulting in immediate payback.
- Improved profit by 20% for the retail segment of the business by automating the processing of monthly invoices utilizing document imaging.
- Reduced call center budgets by 10% by acquiring advanced technology, streamlining call handling and moving towards regional centers.
- Achieved a 65% reduction in voice, data, and cellular communications costs by restructuring and renegotiating contracts.
- Developed a strategic plan to replace all legacy applications with a move to Siebel (CRM), Lawson (ERP), and Oracle.
As an Information Technology Director and Manager for several organizations:
- Successfully completed 30+ projects, with a 90% on time on-budget record, including 12 projects considered as “large project” (10+ man-years of effort, each).
- Built / rebuilt 6 separate IT organizations, where on 3 occasions the prior management suddenly departed.
- Managed the development of a completely new Payroll & Tax system for paying 100,000+ people, worldwide. IBM mainframe-based system was 30+ man-year effort, implemented in 8 major phases, spread over 5 years. Resulted in the company consolidating from 3 systems to 1 comprehensive payment system.
- Managed the design and implementation of a Tax Accrual System to take advantage of aggressive tax benefits that resulted in a one-time savings of $20 million and annual savings of $3 million.
- Managed the re-structuring of the employee benefit systems to allow for more cost effective medical and savings plans. Savings in excess of $10 million annually were achieved.
- Led the design, development & implementation of an innovative accounting system for the reconciling of correspondent bank relationships. Resulted in business staffing reductions from 40+ members to 6, “transaction closure time” decreasing from 90+ to 7 days, and avoiding a $100 million write-off.
- Managed the development of a loyalty rewards system for a start-up electronic marketing company, focused on retail food sales. As a result of this system, the company was able to successfully compete against a system developed by Citibank.
- Proposed and managed the implementation of a very early Local Area Network, including the upgrading of their Accounting function from Lotus 1-2-3, to a comprehensive accounting package.
- Conceived/developed a marketing analysis system, which eliminated the need for manual tabulation of paper based reports, resulting in monthly reports being available for clients within 2 days versus 3+ weeks.
Independent Information Technology Consulting:
- Developed, sold & implemented package solutions for manufacturing companies (early version of ERP).
- Designed and led the development of custom solutions for an international money transmitter.
- Assisted a start-up software company, focusing on market selection and overall strategy.
- Eliminated manual data entry of 15 million documents annually with new electronic document capture and analysis processes.
IT Audit Management:
- Staffed and led one of the earliest “EDP Audit” groups within financial services.
- Established the IT Audit & Sox function for a large mortgage company, utilizing former IT managers versus the traditional approach of “career auditors”, providing more value to the company. Created a strong communications link with the external auditors, helping to eliminate the issuance of annual “material weaknesses” for the Information Technology group.
- Performed independent reviews of several major custom development and package implementations. Provided opinions on architecture, requirements & design, project management, and project viability. The most recent example was a 35 man-year effort where an IT Audit I managed uncovered that major deliverables advertised as completed were, in fact, not near ready, business needs were ignored or significantly down played, and executive management updates represented a status that was far from reality. The project was eventually cancelled.
- Performed & managed a series of IT Audit reviews as part of external financial audits, while at Price Waterhouse.
- Received the first “Masters in EDP Auditing” advanced degree issued in the US (Cal Poly, Pomona).
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Served as the primary Information Technology managing consultant for Price Waterhouse’s major litigation support practice (Century City), participating on numerous efforts, providing recommendations on litigation support systems and strategies for interpreting technology issues.
- Managed the design, development and implementation of a litigation support system for a major claims settlement. Responsibilities included providing guidance prior to case settlement, managing creation of Request for Proposal, evaluation and selection of outside technology providers, onsite project management during the systems development phase, and ongoing review of claims processing and funds distribution.
- Developed a claims processing system using a flexible relational data base management system for a 3rd party claims administrator involving calculating and distributing various payments to tens of thousands of claimants in a class action lawsuit. System was used for several years until all the monies were distributed, accounted for, and the case formally ended. Client very pleased with the savings resulting from this system, saying it paid for itself many times over.
- Provided specialized technical expertise in a litigation matter for WSR Consulting Group, LLC analyzing test planning, execution & results from IBM mini-computers. Case settled with a positive outcome for client.
- Co-owner of a litigation support business, focusing on providing pre-trial analysis of deposition & other case related materials. Developed technology for the efficient review and summarization of case materials.
|WSR Consulting Group, LLC, Los Angeles, California
||1990 – 1991, 2008
Senior Manager, Special Projects (“Litigation Consulting”)
|Impac Mortgage, Irvine, Ca
||2005 - 2008
|Independent Project Management Consultant
|| 2002 - 2005
Duffy Consulting & Associates
|Web Service Company, Redondo Beach, Ca
||1998 - 2002
Vice President, Information Technology (CIO)
|Arco, Pasadena, Ca.
||1990 - 1997
Manager, Applications Development
|Catalina Marketing Company, Anaheim, Ca
||1987 - 1990
Senior Director, Applications Development
|Price Waterhouse, Century City, Ca.
||1983 - 1987
Manager/Senior Manager, Consulting
|Bachelor of Science, Accounting & Information Technology
California State Polytechnic, Pomona, CA
|Masters of Science, Business Administration
California State Polytechnic, Pomona, CA
Numerous and varied Information Technology, Audit, Project Management, and Strategic Planning and IT Departmental Management, and other general business courses, seminars, and studies.